Congratulations on your purchase of the Spirit of Happiness – Creative Journal & Workbook! You have made the first step towards a greater self-awareness and connection to your creativity, priorities, strengths and personal happiness. Your journal will help you achieve a ‘state of flow’ scientifically proven to boost happiness when used frequently and find your voice and ability to be creatively expressive, cultivating an environment for your goals, attitudes and beliefs to surface to live a happier and more fulfilling life.
In order to get the most from your journals, please follow the steps below:
- Create the space. Facilitating creativity requires more than just sitting down with your journal and a few pens at the ready. You need to feel like you are giving yourself the gift of ‘you time’ and actually create a space in your home where you won’t get interrupted (wherever possible). Try to choose an area in your home that doesn’t feel cluttered and is comfortable to work in. It would also be a good idea to put your mobile phone on silent or even better switch it off! Make yourself a drink before you start and maybe place some flowers or light some candles or use a nice table cover or anything really that will make it feel a bit more special. All these things will help you to hold the space whilst working with your creative journals.
- Prepare your creative materials in advance. Creative flow can only take place when you have prepared all of your materials in advance and have everything readily available when needed. Put together a cup full of pens/crayons or any items you’d like to use in your journal for example glitter or tape or stickers. Have scissors and glue at the ready and cut up imagery in advance from your magazines. Don’t forget to download the happy practice examples and print them off to put into your journals and any quotes or affirmations that you’d like to work with before you follow step 1, so that you are ready to find your flow!
- Try to allow yourself to make intuitive choices, whilst switching off ‘thought processes’ where possible when you’re doing the exercises in your journals. Also use this approach when selecting images, quotes, affirmations etc – allow the process to be led by your first impulse for example or what you naturally feel pulled towards or your first thought. Overthinking, rationalising, questioning, trying to work things out are all the things you want to try and avoid – you’re stepping into the ride-side of your brain so just go with it and see what comes up for you.
- Reflect, affirm & practice. After each topic in your journals you have an opportunity to write your own affirmations, reflections, thoughts and quotes – this space is for you to apply what you’ve just done, witnessed, felt or learned and apply it subjectively. Reflecting is simply going over what you’ve just experienced like a ‘witness to the event’ and assessing it without judgement. What came up for you, did you feel yourself resisting at any point, why did you think of a particular colour, shape or object for example – what does it tell you? You can go as deep as you’d like with this there is no wrong or right way to do it. Affirming helps you to put something in place to help you going forward. For example if you noticed you couldn’t think of very many positive qualities for yourself, affirm – “I am always noticing my own strengths and qualities on a daily basis and love to put them into practice wherever possible for my own benefit and the benefit of others.” Once you’ve done all of this, give yourself an opportunity to put them into practice.
- Use your happiness practices.
There are over 30 happy practice examples so you’re bound to find some of them that really resonate with you. Try to allow the practices you choose to include in your journal to challenge any old habitual ways of thinking in order to start looking at your life in a way that prepares you to make positive and meaningful changes. Feel free to write anything that comes up for you on the Happy Practice Examples page.
And that’s it! You are now ready to embark on your creative journey of self-discovery and personal expression. Enjoy!